Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Short One

So there's not much of a point to go through a day-by-day for the latter half of this week. I've been reading a lot, going to class, hanging out in coffee shops near campus, drinking as much bottled water as I can and eating at suspect restaurants.

However, a few things:

Tonight we moved from the Victoria Hotel near downtown Cairo (the hardware district of the city) to the AUC dorm on Zamalek (a tiny island in the Nile) which is nice, homier and in a bit of a more upscale neighborhood- we have a Cinnabon!

Tomorrow is a bus tour of the city with John Swanson, an amazingly brilliant Egyptologist who will show us the entire city and it's scope when we get out of the valley and look down on everything.

Saturday is the pyramids, Sphynx, Memphis and Sakaara.

I'm getting a few of the common phrases down (Egyptians use a lot of their own phrases outside of typical Arabic).

I've become really cheap. I spend a lot of time arguing with taxi drivers (before I get in) over 5 and 7 Egyptian Pounds (the difference between a little under $1 and $1.20).

Guys who ride on bicycles with about 100 pitas on a board balanced on their heads are amazing and if I don't see one wipe out in the crazy Cairo traffic before I leave here, I'll be very upset.

That is all. More to come.

No comments: