Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Want My Babyback Babyback Babyback

Just a couple things on Westernized Cairo. I'm not really sure what the general idea of Cairo (or Egypt in general) is as far as "modernization." However, I figured, as we were at Chili's last night for a classmate's birthday, that most people would be surprised how familiar much of Cairo's businesses are. (I'm also writing this while sitting in the square on campus using the school's wireless internet network)

After class yesterday, a few of us got a ride from Sherif, the AUC liaison to our program, to the mall in New Cairo. I swear this mall is exactly the same, if not nicer, than any mall I've been to in the US- by the way, I hate the mall in every country. One of my classmates was looking for a decent, cheap, digital camera and, though she didn't find one she wanted, we did get some delicious ice cream (I went with mango and strawberry). We got a cab (read: death trap) back to Zamalek. We then met up with some other people at Chili's for dinner (don't worry, I do spend time studying).

Across from the Sphynx is a Pizza Hut and a KFC, sorry to ruin that for you. Both of the restaurants are all over the place, as is Hardee's and of course, McDonald's which sports the McArabia sandwich (seriously). Besides these things, Western dress is pretty much typical, as I said in earlier post, and wouldn't be hard to get around without knowing absolutely no Arabic words at all.

Also, there are a couple different coffee shop chains in Cairo that are probably nicer than Starbucks, albeit, usually smaller.

I wasn't sure exactly how "backwards" people though Cairo was, and it does have its inefficiencies and oddities (it's pretty dirty here and cleanliness with food is no exception). But Cairo is also a major city in the world and as such has many amenities most people (including me, to an extent) don't expect.


p.s. Turkish coffee is delicious.

6 comments:

Sean Killeen said...

You said Cairo has its "inefficiencies" - how does it compare the the strike-loving French?

Anonymous said...

cairo's inefficiencies are on a smaller scale than france's. i suppose it's also a little more expected here for things to run slower. however, the idea of "cairo time" means "it'll happen about 15 minutes to 2 hrs. after you're told it will." so it's not as big a deal b/c you come to expect it, but you have to think ahead if you want to get anything done.

Anonymous said...

What a stark difference between your Egypt & France pictures! What an experience you're having. Keeping writing and taking pictures - we all love following along.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad i can be everyone's foreign correspondent. it's nice to know i'm sharing the experience with so many people. you don't have to worry about me taking pictures- i'm a little obsessed.

Sean Killeen said...

Tim, I just read an interesting article in the NY Times about the general feelings about Obama over in Egypt:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/opinion/11friedman.html?em&ex=1213416000&en=4bde3fcf7058b1b0&ei=5087%0A

Just curious, are you hearing the same kinds of things over there?

Anonymous said...

Funny enough, someone in our program emailed that story to all of us today. I have heard one classmate tell me of a guy who saw a couple of us on the street and just started yelling "Obama!" over and over. I guess there is quite some excitement about his nomination. I'd like to make some contacts over here to continue to discuss the race after I come home- so far the only Egyptian I really know is a creepy guy who looks like an Arab Roberto Benigni (but sleazier)