Monday, June 23, 2008

It's a River. Cool.



So yesterday we were duped into a trip to the Suez Canal with promises of lectures, slide shows, virtual trips on faux tanker ships, swimming and just all-around joy and happiness. Lies. We hopped on the bus at 8am and made the two hour trip to the canal. When we got to Ismaila, the town where the Canal Authority is based, we ate a quick breakfast and made our way over to learn about the canal. Our guide, who works at the Authority, took us on a quick boat ride in the canal and then gave us a lecture.

The lecture/ Q&A session was actually pretty interesting and we learned about both the history of the canal (which connects the Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea for the geographically challenged amongst you). Some of the more startling facts about the canal: roughly 120,000 Egyptians died during the building of the canal; it takes a ship about 13-15 hrs. to make it through the canal; about 20,000 ships pass through the canal each year. However, after the talk we were simply given free reign to swim amongst the jellyfish (which I did- it was pretty salty) and eat a typically poor Egyptian lunch. The idea of vegetarian meals here in Egypt always makes me laugh- whatever everyone else is eating, minus the meat, no matter how little is left.

If you've noticed I haven't written quite as much lately, don't worry. I still like Cairo and am still happy here. However, the more we've gotten into the day-to-day of classes, etc., and the more I've gotten comfortable here, the less striking things have become and the more I really have to look for things that might interest you all. This weekend was kind of a lazy one and everyone in the program seems to be kinda dragging. This upcoming week holds promise though- St. Catherine's Monastery, climbing Mt. Sinai, a couple days at the beach in Sharm el Sheikh. Please keep the comments and emails coming, it's so nice to hear from you all.

6 comments:

uncle tom said...

Tim, you left out a word. It takes 13-15 what to traverse the canal? Hours, I assume.

Your post about the Iraqi doctor and his family was thought provoking. Was he going to try to emigrate? To where? Was he from the Kurdish area in the north? Did he think that he might be able to return to his home?

Have you heard any Egyptians comment about the US invasion and occupation of Iraq? What do Egyptians think about Iraqi refugees in their country? I would guess that a lot of Egyptians are wary about that many people competing for jobs with them.

Keep up the interesting notes.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad,

Thanks for the editorial corrections. I've noted it- it's hours. The doctor isn't from Kurdistan, but I'm not sure how much more it would be appropriate to say about his background. Many of the refugees plan to move back to Iraq at some point, though others talk about moving to America. The doctor, himself, has been denied emigration to a number of countries, including the US because he did not directly assist US forces via translation, etc. He does know, from people still in his area, that terrorist forces have moved into his homes back in Iraq.

I haven't heard Egyptian sentiment per se about the war in Iraq. However, Iraqis here aren't allowed to work, so the Egyptians don't have to compete for jobs. It seems, for the most part, that they're fairly well received here, but they are forced to live in very poor areas of the city. I'm going tomorrow and will hopefully build more of an understanding of the situation each time I go out there.

Anonymous said...

tim, what the hell have you been doing instead of posting? stop smoking sisha and drinking turkish coffee and start posting more regularly. you lazy sonofagun

Margo said...

Tim-
Your adventures are amazing! I have been living through your stories and your pictures while sitting in my gray cube at work! I can't wait to hear about your next weekend adventure. I checked out your pictures on snapfish too. My favorite ones were of the pyramids. Have fun(while studying) and be safe (I'm really sorry but the older I become the more times I feel the need to tell people that!).

Love-Margo

Anonymous said...

Tim, just wanted to take a minute to wish you a Happy Birthday across the miles. I'm sure you'll always remember what you were doing on this one. Love, Aunt Patty

Unknown said...

Tim, I'm trying to get caught up on the writings. Everything sounds amazing. Definitely jealous. Chicago's doing all right. Lindsey and I broke up a few months ago and that's pretty much terrible but I do start a new job this next week as a graduate assistant with DePaul's Student Leadership Institute so hopefully things will look up. Pride parade tomorrow..that's all I've got for now. Keep the writing coming Gulliver. Take care out there buddy. (Also a Happy Belated Birthday!)